Saturday, December 15, 2007

Listening to That Little Voice

Last night, Daniel and I decided to go for an exciting date to various locations, such as Fedex, Lowe's, and then Shop Rite. As we were about to leave, I remembered that we had forgotten my thumbdrive which had the file we needed to print at the Fedex shop. Feeling blessed for remembering, I had Daniel park, put his hazards on, and I summarily took his keys to get into the apartment.

The thumbdrive was in my purse on the couch and as I searched for it, I had the thought that maybe I should just take my purse. 'No' I thought, ' then I'll have to lug it around or leave it in the car.' I had the same thought come to mind again as I grabbed the thumbdrive but once again didn't listen. As a last ditch effort, another thought came saying that I should at least take my phone. This being much lighter than my purse, I agreed. Putting the phone in my pocket, I skipped out the door, which I of course locked behind me, thinking of nothing more than heading off on my exciting date.

Unfortunately, when I got to the car Daniel looked at me with a look that seemed to say, 'Okay, great, so can I have my keys so we can go now?' To my dumbfoundment, I realized that his keys were on the couch with my purse and my keys were in my purse. Someone was looking out for me though, because that very morning Daniel had put the emergency number out and I had put it in my phone.

We called the hotline and waited in the cold car, hazard lights blinking and illegally parked. As I got colder, I had him call again to apprise them of the urgency of the situation, as he had been very nice to them the first time and I wasn't sure if they understood the gravity of the situation. As you can imagine, I was praying for forgiveness for not listening to what I then recognized to be the Spirit, when I hear Daniel say 'So, it will cost $50 dollars just to get back into the apartment and that might not be for another hour?'. The horror. Not only had I risked my warmth level, stranded us in an illegally parked car, and made our date uncertain, but now my carefully planned budget would be trod on. To make matters worse, in my stupor I watched a UPS man walk back to his truck with a large white box. As he drove off, I wondered if it could be my much-awaited sewing machine.

It was. We found the note he had left on the door.

Daniel decided that he had about an hour to save us $50. I decided to brave the cold so that any passerby (or our neighbors, who have a habit of opening their door to see who it is when we are on the step) would have an obstructed view of Daniel's skulduggery. Daniel once again proved his manliness (or skills) by opening the door with only his AAA card. Once again, AAA saves the day and saves money! :)

All in all, I have learned to listen and pay more attention to that little voice. Call me crazy, but it just might help me from going crazy.

For all of those who were wondering, we still had a very nice date at Fedex, Lowe's, and Shop Rite. (Where Daniel deserved a very nice chocolate treat for being so good about everything.)

Post a Comment

1 Comment:

Melissa said...

You are lucky to have such a handy husband! Or an easy lock to pick! All our efforts at picking locks have failed. I'm glad you got to keep your $50, though. What kind of sewing machine did you get? Do you know how to machine quilt? I don't, but I think it's going to be my next hobby. I just reserved a bunch of books from the library on it. I should probably put all this stuff in an e-mail instead of taking up space on your blog....