Tuesday, January 6, 2009

First circannual cheese review

We have started a New Year's Eve tradition of buying some nice cheeses and enjoying the night in. It is better than going to someplace noisy, cold, and crowded. So this year we tried out some of the following cheeses and have reviewed them for your enlightenment:

Havarti
Havarti is a washed curd cheese, which contributes to the subtle flavor of the cheese. It has very small and irregular openings ("eyes") distributed in the mass. Havarti has a buttery aroma and taste, and is somewhat sweet and slightly acidic. Charity and I first tasted this cheese last New Year's Eve and wanted to have it again. The mild block we bought was easily overpowered in its taste, so it should be used with neutral flavors. For example, I could not taste it at all when I placed it on a Nacho Cheese Doritos Chip. I know, that was really classy...

Verdict:
Yum

Smoked Gouda


This cheese is cultured and heated until the curd is separate from the whey. Some of the whey is then drained, and water is added. This is called "washing the curd", and creates a sweeter cheese. The cheese is then soaked in a brine solution which gives the cheese its rind and distinctive taste. The cheese is then dried for a couple of days before being coated to prevent it from drying out, then it is aged. This cheese reminds us of the Budge family, who are also fans of Gouda. The taste is strong and complete and is not easily overpowered by competing flavors. I recommend having this cheese along side grapes. The two flavors together are quite exotic and complimentary.

Verdict:
Good-ah
real cheesy, I know ;)

Horseradish Cheese

This is a natural American Cheese with a natural horseradish flavoring. The gourmet variant, Harlech is made from a mild and creamy cheddar with parsley and horseradish. Charity and I are big fans of horseradish (and wasabe). The flavor starts fairly mild and ends with a small kick that doesn't overwhelm. I think this might be my new favorite cheese. This cheese's smooth texture is perfect for crackers or other foods that won't overpower the mild spiciness. It is also good for melting into pasta or rice.

Verdict:
Tasty

So there you have our review. Now go sweet talk your spouse into procuring a platter of these dairy delectables for you to nibble on while you read a book and relax in your favorite chair (or bed in my case).

Post a Comment

3 Comments:

Melissa said...

I love havarti, and I'm a fan of gouda as well. I may have to pass on the horseradish cheese, though, since I hate horseradish and have the same feelings for wasabi. Thanks for your cheese education. I feel so much cheesier now. (Or is it "more cheesy?" I wonder what the curmudgeon would say about this).

Christie C said...

Tim has (almost) never met a cheese he didn't like. For our Christmas Eve shepherd dinner, he's in charge of picking out a bunch of cheeses to eat with crackers. We had baby swiss, some kind of Irish cheese, brie, and mozzarella (my choice; I'm not a big cheese fan) with our dinner. I think we had havarti and possibly the gouda last year.

Kate said...

I LOVE cheese as well. And what an awesome tradition! I have tried and love both Havarti and Gouda and am intrigued about the horseradish cheese...