Monday, March 30, 2009

Our Sasquatch enters the Marines

Daniel has been asking for a haircut for...oh... about a month and a half.

Unfortunately for him, I like his hair longer (it waves and curls adorably) and am also a very reluctant barber. Mostly, I am reluctant because I don't have much experience and am not confident what the results will be; which doesn't help make me enthusiastic at the prospect of another haircut. I also know that when I finish, Dan will very kindly and politely point out where I can improve. If possible, I do so on the spot... leading to much mental conflict on my part as I fight with myself to not get defensive because I can see his point (or points)..... but don't like having them stated out loud like that. It's a good exercise in self control, patience, and kindness (for both of us).

In addition to these reasons, the haircuts I administer usually reflect the mood I am in when I give them. Daniel has learned to always check how I am feeling emotionally with him before he asks for a haircut. Smart man.

So enough background info. Here are the pics.

Before (Sasquatch Extraordinaire):



After (Macho Marine):

Short = greater time before another haircut is needed = I like it!

Post a Comment

3 Comments:

chauwell said...

Looks good! Ben hates his hair short and has been growing it out. I think he also suspects that the quality of my hair cutting skills is related to my current state of mind ... and has been a little wary of late to let me give his locks a trim... ^_^

Katie said...

I have the same complex if Braden points out flaws when I cut his. His is getting really long and I'm not looking forward to cutting it. You did a great job!

Anonymous said...

The general rule for missionaries---long enough to have a part somewhere...generally on one side or the other for some styling is just about right. If it makes you feel any better, a tendency to give directions to the barber afterward instead of before is--to put it tactfully, like coaching an instant replay--too little, too late. I understand he used to shave his head pretty close on his mission....I wonder if he ever got a sunburned scalp in Cabo Verde???? I suppose people are now saying the Dad looks just like the his boy...spittin' image. Does he worry about getting a sunburned scalp??? GmH