Saturday, August 23, 2008

Our Walk Through the Mall

I knew Daniel had been thinking about electronics again when he suggested that we take our evening walk at the mall and check out the Mac book Air at the same time. It's my job to be the heavy when it comes to spending money so I played my part. Grumbling internally but knowing it would make him happy, I agreed, a little grumpily. (It's dangerous business getting close to electronics with Daniel around, he starts getting this very hopeful look that I find very hard to resist. Don't believe me? How do you think he managed me letting him get a Wii?)



I also tend to avoid the mall in anycase because I find it a disturbing and dangerous place to be. It's dangerous walking through the mall for a couple reasons. One, there are people there. Those people either want to a.) sell you something or b.) stare at you and maybe even talk to you. Antisocial that I sometimes am, this is a terrifying prospect. Two, you might buy something that you don't need, you can't afford, is fattening/unhealthy, or all of the above. Three, you may leave there completely depressed because of the state of the world. (i.e. the way teenagers dress and act, the things people spend money on, the offensive advertising, or the unbelievably thin/emaciated mannequins)

So, when I was accosted by one of the stand vendors I was not surprised. They must smell fear or maybe they can just tell I know what a hard lot they have and hate saying no. In any case, Daniel saved me from the natural nails product vendor and we then stepped into the Apple store to look at the Macbook Air that he has been dreaming of. He lifted it up, looked at the ports, and was trying to figure it out when one of the sales people came over. The sales guy said that it is 'gimped' because it doesn't do anything except take notes. He let Daniel know that the Macbook Air can only download systems from another Mac or from the CD drive that you have to buy to go with it; expensive and impractical. Daniel chewed on this new information as we continued our stroll. I was relieved to have escaped intact from two money-losing encounters.

Then we found something inexpensive and fun. We found the Reactrix floor screen. We played a few games. I had fun stomping butterflies, playing soccer, and making firework explode over the NYC skyline. I'm sure we looked sort of funny hopping around on the board, grown-ups that we are supposed to be, but it was a lot of fun. I decided to let the little kids have a turn when a group of them showed up and their parents were watching us.



If any of you want a cheap date idea, I'd suggest going to the mall and playing on the Reactrix screen. Fun.

Loosened up from our workout, we continued our walk through the mall when we saw a costume jewelry store. I love things that sparkle so Daniel suggested we go and look. He promised to keep me from buying anything and I wasn't too worried about it anyway since my idea of expensive is most peoples idea of cheap.

What we didn't know was that this particular store was having a closeout sale. After we entered the store and my eyes lighted on the sparklies and great deals, it was all over. Daniel talked me into letting him get me a matched earrings and necklace set for a large discount. They match my wedding ring and are beautiful. Thank you, Daniel! (If any of you are also attracted to shiny objects and low prices, I would recommend visiting Landau's costume jewelry shop at Bridgewater Commons Mall.) In appreciation, I got Daniel a strawberry creme frappacino (no coffee!) grande from Starbucks. It was surprisingly good...he let me snitch some, so I know.


You see why the mall is so dangerous?

Post a Comment

5 Comments:

Melissa said...

Oh my gosh, I think you and I must be secret twins, because I feel EXACTLY THE SAME WAY about the mall (and electronics) as you! However, I'm not a sparkly kind of person, and I never wear jewelry. But, I told Jacob that if there is one style of necklace and earrings that I really would like, they would be the EXACT SAME ONES that you got! Wow. We are even more alike than I thought.

Jen said...

What beautiful earrings! I'm glad that the mall turned into a good adventure after all. :) I do agree with you on those three points too -- although, I am a serious sucker for clothes. Which = dangerous at the mall.

Nohreen said...

Paul & Heather love the Reactrix! They could spend a lot of time playing if I let them. But, just like you-- I don't like to spend a long time in the malls nowadays. John is a BIG electronics/gadget guy also which is quite the opposite of me. The earrings & necklace look great on you!

Howell said...

Now, I was never really considering buying a laptop now, but I just like to evaluate the industrial design of various gadgets. It does look nice, but there are serious flaws in its functionality.

As for the ear rings, they were highly functional as well as beautiful. Plus, can you really but a price on a happy Charity?

Carey said...

Charity, you look absolutely STUNNING in that picture of you with the earrings. I can't wait to see you soon! (and Dan and James, of course!!)