Thursday, May 29, 2008

Parents-in-training

Recently we have noticed some rather odd behaviour that is worth mentioning. While sitting reading on the couch I realized that my legs were jiggling up and down of their own accord and while perusing books at the library I realized I was swaying back and forth. This movement excess seems to have spread to Daniel as well. He moves his hands back and forth absentmindedly beside him, he sways, and both of us seem to speak with a slight singsong in our voices. Coincidence? I think not!

The culprit? James. (the same James that is currently causing me to type this post with only my left hand, more on the lopsided parent later) He has apparently trained us so well in how to sooth him that we now do it automatically, whether we are holding him or not. It reminds me of the stories of sailors getting off their boats after a long ocean voyage and not being able to walk straight. In our case we have been rocking the baby and have to ... wait a second I need to sooth the baby.....

Where was I? I think you get the point. (Incidentally, it is now my right hand doing the typing.)

I would also like to say that I have been learning what it is like to be one handed and unable to get up. It's terribly annoying to sit down to nurse and have your book, or your glass of water, or the pillow for your arm just one inch out of reach. I'm proud to say that I have improved my ability to pick things up with my toes as a result (not the water glass obviously!). It's amazing what you can do when you really put your mind to it.

An upper-back ache is also on the list of our ailments. We found out why yesterday. We went to the pediatrician for James' checkup. He is now 13lbs 12oz and 24'' long. No wonder my back hurts!

Seriously, we are very happy he is so healthy and we feel very blessed, even if we are exhibiting some very odd parent related behaviours.

(Wow, it's amazing how many typos one makes by typing one-handed!)

Post a Comment

2 Comments:

Melissa said...

I have typed one-handed many times myself. In fact, I still do it, usually at least once a day. And I also have back pain. But your baby is going to pass mine up very soon, and then you'll have even more back pain! By the way, Daniel, why don't you figure out a more ergonomically back-saving carseat design. Perhaps something involving a pulley. Mothers everywhere would thank you!

Jen said...

Amen to sitting down to nurse and having everything just one inch out of reach, especially when dads aren't home! When Luke was about a week old, we went to the mall. Eric's mom caught me swaying while standing in line to buy a shirt. Babies just change everything! Luke just weighed in at 22 pounds -- give it a year and that 13 pounds will seem SO nice and you won't be able to recognize your buff arms. :)