Sunday, September 7, 2008

Chores Bingo

My hardworking wife asked me this morning at around 5 to go and see what James wanted. I, of course, did not hesitate because Charity rarely lets me in on the all-night fun. So I went in and picked up James, made a bottle, walked back to the crib, and when I set James down, he had already fallen back asleep. Knowing that if I went back to bed, I would wake Charity from her rare intermission of sleep, I stayed up and wrote (or rather hacked) a javascript bingo game and turned it into a household chore manager.

The rules are simple. The kids compete with the same board and whoever can do a row of five chores first gets a prize (clicking on the chore turns the square blue). Of course, that prize depends on the chore being checked-off by the parents. There are two "Freebees" on the board that will help even out the varying difficulties of a particular row, column or diagonal.

There are certainly revisions and tweaks that will need to be made in order to accommodate "fairness" disputes by the children. My reply will be that if they didn't wake us up so early in the morning, maybe I could have done a better job. ;)

Post a Comment

1 Comment:

Melissa said...

Hey, that's a great idea! When we were first married, Jacob made "The Allocator" (based on a Star Trek Voyager episode) to assign us chores. But we always traded off the chores we didn't want to do, which meant we did the same chores every time, which kind of did away with the whole concept of "The Allocator."