Saturday, September 20, 2008

An Ode to My Mom

I just woke from the most delicious nap. James had fallen asleep, things were relatively picked up, and it is Saturday morning so nothing was too terribly pressing. I asked Daniel to put on David Attenborough and I tucked myself into the couch. Settling in, I focused on the smooth voice of David and the soothing background music. French horns, a drumbeat. Yes, that is how snowflakes are formed. Red snow algae. Mountain goats butting heads and jumping nimbly. That's as far as I made it when I fell deeply asleep.

So why is this an ode to my mama? Well, I awoke refreshed and to the sound of David explaining that hot molten lava rises to the surface and becomes basalt, forming many different landmarks across the world. I relaxed, remembering the many happy times during my childhood and how my mama made them happen for me. (Coincidentally, she is also the person who has always known how to get me to take a nap.) I realized how blessed I am and wanted to put it down on paper, as it were.

So here's to my mama and the childhood she gave me:

Chocolate milk, deli meat and dinners rolls,
Eaten before playing standing up seesaws at the park.
Chasing us around the house with a rolled up towel ,
Giving us reasons to scream and giggle.
Spraying us down with the garden hose.
Singing.
Holding us when we were hurt, making it okay.
Frog races on the picnic table.
Snowmen, snow locomotives, snow tunnels and forts.
Woken in the night to watch the comets fall,
Warm cookies in the crisp evening air.
Hiding in the fabric racks at the fabric store.
Playing tag the trees.
Picking me up from school when I was sick,
tucking me in with a Sprite,
making me feel secure just by being nearby.
Listening to her talk on the phone, laugh on the phone,
and the snap her fingers at us when we tried stuff.
Saving, or trying to, baby birds,
knowing what to say when it didn't work out.
Listening to me,
putting down what she was doing to do so.
Quietly stroking my head when I had no words.
Forgiving me for mistakes,
teaching the benefit of honesty.
Believing in me.

There is so much more. To all mom's out there. You are doing a good job. Your best will be enough. I know this because just having my mama's love made my childhood magical, even when, looking back as an adult, I see realities that could have easily colored my memories more negatively. They didn't though, and I am grateful. More than anything, this is also a pep-talk to myself too. I have such a good example to follow and so I know what I have to do.

I know that many people have less than ideal childhoods for one reason or another. I am so sorry. I hope you will take this post as a sign that there is hope in this crazy world and an opportunity to try to make it better.

Post a Comment

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for loving me with all my faults and remembering me as a good mom who always loved you.

You made me smile and cry. Mama