Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Bernina and Illustrator (or More Tools for the Engineer)

I have been neglecting my Hindi studies for the last couple weeks as I focused on a most absorbing project. My sister, Sarah, is expecting a little girl in May and I have been thinking on what type of design her blanket will be.

I discovered that Illustrator has the capability to allow me to design patterns, to scale them 1:1, and to then play with the color schemes. This is amazing! I measured our crib and calculated how big I wanted Sarah's baby's blanket to be to fit her crib and future toddler bed. I then calculated how big each piece would have to be with a quarter inch seam allowance. Then I was able to decide on the colors that the quilt would be. I have never been able to put so much foresight into my quilting projects and this was very empowering. (usually my design changes as I make it and the end product is different than the imagined initial product.) In addition to being really cool, the calculations and planning meant that I could plan how to cut my fabric to minimize waste.


Daniel and I took a trip to Michael's and I got my first cutting board, rotary cutter, and pin cushion. We got the fabric from WalMart. (Have I mentioned that I love the counter space in our new apartment?)


I received a Bernina Series 810 as my Christmas present this past year (Thank you, Mama!) and I threaded it up with the appropriate thread for the project. (Daniel was impressed at how the spool will automatically fill from the commercial spool. Good design.)


I was very careful to make all the points required and even took the time to iron the back. It is such a good feeling to know that the back looks just as good as the front.


Then commenced piecing...


And more piecing....


I went over to Tauna's house (my friend and Primary President) to baste it together. She let me use the frame that her great grandmother used to make quilts in her day. So now my quilt has used some old tools too in its creation. (Thank you, Tauna!)


The quilting is the most intimidating part for me so it took me a couple days to nerve up to starting it. Daniel was very good about letting me leave the sewing machine in place on the table until I had worked up the courage.


I've always had trouble keeping the back from bunching up when I quilt and with careful planning, was able to avoid it this time.


Last of all, the binding needed doing. This time I pinned it up and tried my hand at machine sewing the binding in place. It turned out decent but I think my hand sewing is a little neater. Probably because I have more practice at it.:)


Ta-daa! Finished!




This has been a lot of fun. I have loved learning new things, using new tools, and making what I actually planned to make. I have also really enjoyed thinking of my niece using it.

Post a Comment

3 Comments:

Melissa said...

LOVE the quilt! It is so cute! I have never made a quilt before, but I really want to try! I got a pattern and some cute material, but I've got some other projects I have to finish before I start. When I do, I may be calling you for help! Check out this website: They have the CUTEST quilt patterns! www.thimbleblossoms.com. I got the sweet cheeks pattern.

Gayle said...

Charity: What a beautiful quilt. How fun to try your new machine and put this together. You are a girl after my own heart. Sharon would be please too.

Christie C said...

You are amazing. Maybe someday I'll take up quilting. Maybe. ;)