Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Bulk Cereal Strikes Back

I decided to try to make my lemons into lemonade, or in this case, my 10 lbs of cardboard marshmallow puffs into rice crispy treats. My expectations for this endeavor were low, but nonetheless, I decided to make a double batch anyway. I thought, "If I ruin it, oh well. I have a tons left anyway." But just in case, I decided to add some chocolate and peanut butter. After mixing it up, this is what I got:


In honor of my sister-in-law, Charity and I decided to call this recipe, "Caprolite Crispies." As you can tell, the chocolate parts of the treat kind of oozed around and discolored the non-chocolate parts of the treat. It definitely looked questionable at this point.

Notice how the original pink marshmallows neither melted or became disfigured. This leads me to believe that Bulk Foods, who sold me this cereal, really shouldn't call these things marshmallows. To me, a marshmallow only has to meet one of two criteria. They either have to dissolve in and color your milk or melt, tan, or basically do something when heated. Based on this test, these pink "marshmallows" fail on both counts. The treated marshmallows were virtually indistinguishable from their non-treated counterparts. That just isn't natural.

But I digress. As I was saying, my expectations for this concoction were rather low. I incised a square, crinkled my olfactories, and took a hesitant bite. To my utter amazement, this desert transcended the masses of mere mediocre munchies to perhaps become the best rice crispy treat I have ever had. No lie. But I have to admit that it was the chocolate and peanut that put this treat over the top, not the Bulk Cereal. Nevertheless, it is important to note that I have won the greater battle. Charity herself has said, and I quote, "This is something I would have gotten hyper over as a kid." Maybe I'll buy another 10 lbs. of this stuff.... just kidding.

Speaking of kids, OK on a completely unrelated note, Porter Shehab in the Ward just gave us bunch of hand-me down clothes for baby. Among those was this tiny diaper cover swim suit. It is only slightly smaller than the Speedo's I had to wear back on the swim team.

Anyway, we thought they looked really cute. Ah those were the *ahem* good old days...

Post a Comment

1 Comment:

Melissa said...

I'm, um, honored that you would name your concoction after dinosaur dung because of me. It does, indeed, look like something a paleontologist would mistake for a corprolite. But don't save me any. Kate has rescinded her invitation to eat chocolate :(