Sunday, February 17, 2008

Bulk Marshmallow Puffs



Product Review:
I thought I would give you all an update on how our food storage accumulation is going. One of our most recent acquisitions was a purchase of some Marshmallow Rice Crispies from a BulkFoods.com. From the images, it looks like Rice Crispies meets Marshmallow Maties; a winning combination, in my opinion. With Charity's reluctant endorsement, we bought 10lbs of it. Coming in at $1.49/lb, we (I) figured this was an incredible deal. Plus, who would want to have to pre-mix Rice Crispies and Marshmallow Maties? With this product we get both in a convenient (large) package.


The big day arrived when our bulk marshmallow cereal came in the mail.

I was impressed at the shear volume of product they managed to put in the unassuming exterior box. Right away, I knew that they did not concern themselves with frivolous packaging designs and marketing gimmicks. Product presentation definitely gets high marks.


As suspected, the individual product units were dimensioned in such a way that they easily fit into our standardized food storage container. Once again, I was impressed with the foresight of the food makers in allowing for such versatility.


I picked out my favorite green bowl for the inaugural meal. The green glaze was a perfect compliment to the golden tan rice puffs.

I was ready for a slam-dunk finish to my quest for cheap bulk breakfast cereal when I took my first bite. I then took a second bite. And then a third. The texture of the Rice Crispy components had a cardboard-ish kind of taste to them. The marshmallow parts were a bit stale... Even after I left them in my milk for several minutes. Despite the high marks in other areas, I was underwhelmed at the taste performance.

Here was Charity during my ordeal:

No, that's not smugness from her utter disinterest in my cereal quest, but rather her pure and innocent satisfaction she derives from so-called natural foods.

Conclusion:

(+'s) Breakfast of Champions:

  • Volume of Cereal - For me, quantity is a type of quality.
  • Packaging - Simple and utilitarian, free from marketing madness
  • Appearance - Looks like it could taste good.
(-'s) Marshmallow Cardboard Puffs:
  • Awful taste
  • 9.9 lbs to go
Verdict:
Don't fall for it.

Post a Comment

3 Comments:

Melissa said...

Oh Charity, when will these men learn to listen to us! I'm sure Daniel gave a very compelling (to him) argument for buying this cereal, but you knew all along it was a mistake. Finally, you gave in, knowing that sometimes, we must let the men in our lives learn from their mistakes. Unfortunately, they continue to come up with equally hair-brained ideas. It's not over for you. Not over by a long shot.

jacib said...

We had a similar incident when we were first married. I convinced Melissa that we should buy 10 lbs. of onions and freeze them. Our apartment smelled like onions for weeks. Each we came home we were tearfully reminded of my brilliant plan to save a little money. Now we just keep one onion in the house at a time :)

Melissa said...

Jacob forgot to mention that before we froze them, we cut them all up by hand and put them in little baggies. Jacob wore his swim goggles to protect his eyes. I discovered how difficult it is to breathe with 10 pounds-worth of onion fumes floating around the kitchen. And the onion juice stung my dry hands. We certainly learned our lesson. Next I'll tell you about the time Jacob put an egg in the microwave....