Sunday, February 3, 2008

Ten Things Better Left Unsaid

Treading carefully when communicating with a pregnant woman can be difficult. Below is a list of things that I would suggest you not say.

1. You're a big helper.
2. You're my all-round favorite girl.
3. You look pretty today. Not that you didn't yesterday... I mean... uh
4. Would you pick that up?
5. Didn't we have (insert food item) in the fridge?
6. I'm feeling fat.
7. Wow, I couldn't eat another bite.
8. Guess what? I've lost another couple pounds and I'm not even trying.
9. I think my pants are too big.
10. Did you know that your belly button sticks out when you laugh?

In all honesty, if said pregnant woman is not in a good mood or, shall we say, appears to not be at her best, it would be better to say nothing at all; just get her whatever she wants and don't ask what that is. :)

Post a Comment

2 Comments:

Melissa said...

It looks like Daniel has inherited the Howell knack for tactlessness (if that's even a word--but you know what I mean). When I was pregnant for the first time, Jacob and I went shopping at a store that was closing, so everything was on clearance. I went to look at the clothes, but there were no good ones left. When I met back up with Jacob, he asked me if I found anything, and I said, "No, all the clothes are huge and ugly." He said, "Well, you're going to be huge and ugly soon, so...." Can you believe it? I hit him.

Howell said...

In my defense, some of these statements have been "paraphrased" for the purposes of more clearly illustrating a principle. Nevertheless, I will not reveal which statements that were not embellished.